Recipe by blucoat
These are incredibly moist muffins with crunchy edges that add a great texture contrast. The fresh cranberries give bright bursts of flavour to the not-too-sweet nutty batter. These muffins are a favourite at "Pastries a Go Go" in Decatur. Recipe was printed in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (May 2007). Notes: The trick to getting crunchy edges is to bake the muffins in a very hot oven (400°F). You will also get good, but cakier, results if you bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt or 3⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Grease and flour 18 muffin cups (or line with paper muffin cups).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Re-sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the butter mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl thoroughly. By hand stir in the yogurt, cranberries, walnuts and vanilla until just combined --- do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until muffins are set and lightly browned on top.