Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This dessert is a cross between a cake and a bread-like pudding. It is tart, a perfect ending to a heavy Thanksgiving dinner! Adapted from Anna Olson's - Sugar: Simple Sweets and Decadent Desserts
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel (I prefer orange peel)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- icing sugar (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a 9" (2.5 L) square baking dish or pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour fresh (equal amount of frozen can be used) cranberries into dish.
- Place almonds, sugar, bread crumbs, cream, eggs, peel, vanilla and almond extract in food processor. Whirl until well blended.
- Pour mixture over cranberries, spread evenly to cover. It is okay if a few berries are poking through!
- Bake in oven until top is dark golden and knife tip inserted into centre comes out clean, 55 - 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, serve warm or at room temperature with a dusting of icing sugar or a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.
- Note: for an elegant serving option you can bake this in 8 custard cups or ramekins (5 oz.) each. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. Brush tops with a little melted apricot jelly for a fruity glaze!