Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on a box of cereal, and modified it to be a bit healthier. These muffins are great for a quick and filling breakfast with a nice serving of fruit. The apples and carrots are really the only essential ones, and past that you could add any combination of fruits and nuts. I've found that they go stale quite quickly, so be sure to eat or freeze them within 3-4 days.
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill multi-grain hot cereal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line 12 muffin cups with liners, or grease them with nonstick spray.
- Blend dry ingredients together, then add remaining ingredients and mix until well-blended- the batter will be thick and lumpy.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.