1/1 Photo of Cranberry Applesauce With Orange and Pears
Slightly tart cranberry applesauce, a favorite of my step-daughter and my 16-month-old grandchild. I use orange juice and pears to sweeten the sauce in lieu of granulated sugar. I finish with a small amount of honey -- so small that the pediatrician cleared this for the grandchild at 6 months. I use a 6-1/2 quart Le Creuset pot, and puree to desired consistency in a Vitamix. For the 6-mo.-old, her mom froze this in ice cube trays; today her dad froze this in 1-quart heavy-duty resealable freezer bags. If you prefer a decidedly sweet sauce, add 1/2 cup brown sugar to the orange juice and heat until sugar has dissolved before adding apple slices, etc., or adjust at the end by adding simple syrup to desired sweetness. This mixture will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, finely grated
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 lbs gala apples, peeled and cored and cut in wedges
- 2 ripe bosc pears, peeled and cored and cut in wedges
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, washed and picked over or 12 ounces frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1Put orange juice, orange rind and lemon juice in stockpot or 6-1/2-quart pot.
- 2Peel, core and slice one apple at a time, adding slices to pot and tossing slices in the liquid (to prevent browning).
- 3Peel, core and slice one pear at a time, adding slices to pot and tossing slices in the liquid.
- 4Add cranberries and honey and mix well. Immerse the cinnamon stick in the middle.
- 5Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- 6If using a Vitamix, the mixture does not need to cool before pureeing; otherwise, let mixture cool 20 minutes before pureeing in batches to desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Applesauce With Orange and Pears
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 0.3 g