My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, core and quarter the apples.
- 2Cut each quarter in half and then each wedge into three pieces (you will have apple chunks).
- 3In a heavy-bottomed 12-inch frying pan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- 4Add the sugar and cook, stirring, until the butter and sugar melt together, turn light brown and have the consistency of peanut butter.
- 5Add the apples carefully (the sugar mixture is very hot).
- 6With a wooden spoon, mix the apples carefully with the caramel.
- 7The caramel will harden; don't worry, it will melt again.
- 8Mix together the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- 9Cook the apple mixture, stirring often, until the caramel melts and the apples soften and start to look cooked.
- 10Stir in the cranberries and the cornstarch mixture.
- 11Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the juices in the pan thicken and take on a glossy appearance.
- 12Transfer the apple-cranberry mixture to a shallow dish and let cool.
- 13Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 14Line a baking sheet that has a raised rim all around with parchment paper.
- 15Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- 16Lay a sheet of phyllo on the prepared baking sheet.
- 17Brush the phyllo sheet lightly with the melted butter.
- 18Place the next sheet of phyllo on top and brush it with butter.
- 19Repeat with the remaining sheets, but do not butter the top sheet.
- 20Reserve a bit of melted butter to brush on top of the finished strudel.
- 21Place the apple-cranberry mixture in a strip along the long side of the phyllo, about 1 inch in from the edge.
- 22Using the parchment to help keep things together, roll up the phyllo to form a long log.
- 23Adjust the roll's position on the baking sheet so it is not touching the sides of the sheet.
- 24The roll will leak while it cooks, so make sure it is on the parchment paper.
- 25Brush the top of the roll with the reserved melted butter.
- 26Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the roll is nicely browned.
- 27Let it sit at least 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry-Apple Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.6
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 47.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 1.0 g