Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This has been a staple of our holiday dinners for almost 20 years.I usually have to double the recipe so there will be some left over for "left-overs" the next day!.Besides doubling well, this can be made a day ahead of time. This is definitely a family and friends favorite!Chill time is cook time. * I've tried using Sucra or artificial sweeteners, but don't like the results as well as the "real" thing!
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 lb fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Peel oranges and reserve one fourth of the peel.
- Remove white membranes and seeds from oranges and chop them coarsely.
- Wash cranberries, drain, and remove any stems.
- Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Mince orange peel-it should measure about 3 tablespoons.
- Combine cranberries, orange peel,oranges, and sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over orange juice in a small saucepan (or in a small bowl in the microwave) to soften.
- Heat over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is completely disolved.
- Add gelatin mixture to cranberry-orange mixture and mix well.
- Spray a 1 quart mold with cooking spray and fill with cranberry-orange mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Unmold when ready to serve by running a small, sharp knife around rim,place a warm damp cloth over inverted mold, and shake gently to release.
I had used another recipe that did not chop the cranberries and I prefer this one as it molds better. The only change was to cut back on the sugar to 1/2 cup. It was easy to make and everyone enjoyed it.