Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Found this on SatelliteSisters.com and made it last year for Thanksgiving. I got lots of comments on how good it was so I'm making it again this year. Thank you to the reviewer who gave me the true name of this dish.
- 680.38 g cranberries
- 295.73-473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml water
- 113.39 g soda cracker, crushed
- 473.19 ml whipping cream, whipped
- 29.58 ml sugar
- Combine water and 1 1/4-2 cups of sugar depending on taste in a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries and cook until cranberries split. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar until it turns into whipped cream.
- Using a glass bowl, put a layer of cranberries in the bottom of bowl. Layer soda crackers to cover well over the cranberries, then a layer of whipped cream. Start over with cranberries, crackers and cream until bowl is full, ending with the cream. A little spoon of cranberries on the top looks nice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Love this salad!! However, my Grandmother called this Yifta. Not many ppl even know the old terms for foods anymore. Thanx
I have had this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve since I was a little girl. In my family, we called it "giftus," but pronounced yiftus. My grandmother said her mother got the recipe from someone she worked for in Norway. It is a tradition in our family and wouldn't be Christmas or Thanksgiving without it!