Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I loved baked apples and this one is unique. I got this from a cookbook called Australia Wide Cookbook by Valwyn McMonigal. I also learned that the first apple orchard in Huonville was planted in 1841 and the fruit was exported in 1849 to India and New Zealand. And at one point Australia had 500 different varieties.
- Preheat oven to 180*c/375*F.
- Place apples in baking dish with water.
- Beat brown sugar, cinnamon and butter together until creamy. Add raisins and push the mixture into the cavity of the apples.
- Bake 20 minutes until apples are tender. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, gradually add the caster sugar a spoonful at a time.
- Remove apples from baking dish and place on greased oven tray (cookie sheet). Thickly spread meringue around each apple covering totally.
- Bake until meringue starts to brown slightly.
- Serve immediately.