Recipe by Bonnie G #2
Found in Taste of Home, these sound great for a cold weather meal, maybe with soup, chili or stews. Made these to go with clam chowder and made a nice match - but after making them agree they need a 1/2 tsp. of salt and I think I'd personally (I love pepper) increase the pepper to about 3/4 tsp.
Top Review by Annacia
Delicious. I took the comments of other reviewers and added an extra tbsp of oil and 3/4 tsp of salt. They came out perfect except for the fact that they all leaned hard toward the front of the oven, lol. I must have one powerful convection fan since this effect isn't uncommon in my oven. The muffins are very light, moist and tender. At first I was worried that there was too much milk but letting the bowl sit for a bit while I did something else gave the flour time to absorb the liquid. The final consensus is: YUM.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flour sugar, baking powder and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and oil. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.