Can be made small for appetizer or larger for luncheon or serve mix and lettuce cups separately for the diner to put together. Entry for RSC spring. (chill time 1 hour).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb crabmeat, real or imitation
- 1/2 lb asparagus, nice thin spears,divided
- 2 medium fresh scraped carrots, grated
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lettuce leaf (iceberg or romaine works well)
- 100 g pecan halves, divided
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
- parmesan cheese, finely grated (optional)
- 1Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor or blender; blend until smooth and the consistency of a mayonnaise based dip.
- 2Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- 3Pour the pecan halves on a tray and toast, 7 or 8 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 4Set aside to cool, when cool, coarse chop 1/4 cup, leave the rest whole.
- 5Break tough ends off asparagus; steam for 3 minutes, just until tender crisp, there should be lots of crunch left.
- 6Plunge into ice water; slice all but 12 spears into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 7Scrape the carrots and grate, seed and dice the tomatoes.
- 8Rinse the crabmeat and thourghly dry on paper towel, squeezing out the moisture.
- 9(If using imitation, chop into small pieces.) Combine crabmeat, chopped asparagus, grated carrots, diced tomatoes, chopped pecans, dried dill weed, salt and cayenne pepper; mix well.
- 10Add 1/2 of the dressing to the crabmeat mixture.
- 11Use only enough dressing to hold the mixture together.
- 12The mixture should be fairly dry, not runny.
- 13Reserve the rest of the dressing to use as a dip for the lettuce rolls.
- 14Wash and separate lettuce leaves, dry as much as possible, best dried in a spinner.
- 15Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of crabmeat mixture in lettuce cup and roll as tightly as possible appetizer size, use toothpicks if necessary, or leave open if you wish.
- 16Repeat until all filling mixture is used.
- 17Place on serving platter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- 18(I like to grate the Parmesan with my zester grater because it makes nice fine fluffy strings.) Place a pecan half on top of each roll.
- 19Garnish the platter with more pecan halves and the 12 reserved asparagus spears.
- 20Serve chilled at least one hour.
- 21The lettuce rolls can be made larger for luncheon use etc.
- 22,or they can be served with crabmeat mixture in a bowl and the lettuce cups separate for each diner to fill themselves, serve extra asparagus and pecan halves on the side.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab-Asparagus Lettuce Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.0 mg
- Sodium 625.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cucumber-dill salad dressing