Can be made small for appetizer or larger for luncheon or serve mix and lettuce cups separately for the diner to put together. Entry for RSC spring. (chill time 1 hour).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb crabmeat, real or imitation
- 1/2 lb asparagus, nice thin spears,divided
- 2 medium fresh scraped carrots, grated
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lettuce leaf (iceberg or romaine works well)
- 100 g pecan halves, divided
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
- parmesan cheese, finely grated (optional)
- 1Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor or blender; blend until smooth and the consistency of a mayonnaise based dip.
- 2Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- 3Pour the pecan halves on a tray and toast, 7 or 8 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 4Set aside to cool, when cool, coarse chop 1/4 cup, leave the rest whole.
- 5Break tough ends off asparagus; steam for 3 minutes, just until tender crisp, there should be lots of crunch left.
- 6Plunge into ice water; slice all but 12 spears into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 7Scrape the carrots and grate, seed and dice the tomatoes.
- 8Rinse the crabmeat and thourghly dry on paper towel, squeezing out the moisture.
- 9(If using imitation, chop into small pieces.) Combine crabmeat, chopped asparagus, grated carrots, diced tomatoes, chopped pecans, dried dill weed, salt and cayenne pepper; mix well.
- 10Add 1/2 of the dressing to the crabmeat mixture.
- 11Use only enough dressing to hold the mixture together.
- 12The mixture should be fairly dry, not runny.
- 13Reserve the rest of the dressing to use as a dip for the lettuce rolls.
- 14Wash and separate lettuce leaves, dry as much as possible, best dried in a spinner.
- 15Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of crabmeat mixture in lettuce cup and roll as tightly as possible appetizer size, use toothpicks if necessary, or leave open if you wish.
- 16Repeat until all filling mixture is used.
- 17Place on serving platter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- 18(I like to grate the Parmesan with my zester grater because it makes nice fine fluffy strings.) Place a pecan half on top of each roll.
- 19Garnish the platter with more pecan halves and the 12 reserved asparagus spears.
- 20Serve chilled at least one hour.
- 21The lettuce rolls can be made larger for luncheon use etc.
- 22,or they can be served with crabmeat mixture in a bowl and the lettuce cups separate for each diner to fill themselves, serve extra asparagus and pecan halves on the side.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab-Asparagus Lettuce Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.0 mg
- Sodium 625.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cucumber-dill salad dressing