Recipe by Mille®
Only cooking for 1 or 2? No problem - these savoury pies will last very well (unbaked) in the freezer
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons powdered beef bouillon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 fluid ounces water
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 fluid ounces water, additional
The Pie Bases
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces meat drippings
The Pie Tops
- 1 (12 ounce) package puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- ---To Make The Filling---.
- Place the meat into a pan, stir over low heat until it is well browned; drain off any surplus fat.
- Add crumbled stock cubes, 12 fluid ounces water, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stir until boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Combine extra 2 fluid ounces water and flour, stir or whisk until the flour mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the meat, stir until combined.
- Return to the heat, stir until the meat boils and thickens.
- Add soy sauce (to give brown colour), stir until combined.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove from the heat and allow to become cold.
- ---To Make The Pie Bases---.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Place the water and drippings into a saucepan, stir until the drippings melt; remove from heat.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the liquid, stir until combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly.
- Roll out the pastry to line eight greased single-serving pie tins.
- Cut the excess pastry around the sides using a sharp knife.
- Fill the centres with the cold meat filing.
- ---To Make The Pie Crusts---.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, cut out rounds for the tops of pies, using a saucer as a guide.
- Wet the edges of the base pastry, and then gently press the tops into place; trim around the edges with a sharp knife.
- Brush the tops with combined egg-yolk and water.
- ---Down To The Wire---.
- Bake the pies at 425°F for 5 minutes or until golden brown, and thenreduce the heat to 350°F and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- ---The Extra Pies---.
- Freeze unbaked pies individually.
- To cook, allow to thaw completely and bake as above.