Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Alas, I cannot take credit for this one. My cousin gave it to me. It is NOT your typical fruit cake. This one is good! I always serve it with the caramel sauce drizzled over it, but it's even good without it. I'm going to add the caramel sauce here and post it seperately as well as it is good on other stuff (Ice cream, your finger, a spoon....)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit salad, with cherries and the juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
Optional topping for cake
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1 cup sugar
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together until just combined. Pour into a greased, medium sized, spring form cake pan. If using optional topping, place on top of cake prior to baking.
- Bake for 45 minutes. It will be a very moist cake! Let cool slightly before removing outer rim of spring form pan.
- For caramel sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Cook over low heat until of desired thickness. This will take up to 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent burning, and don't over cook it, it will curdle.