Recipe by TexasToast R
Easy, fresh and delicious! This came from my June 2007 issue of Cooking Light, and I don't want to lose this recipe. It is filled with fresh veggies and dressed with a light olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup diced cucumber (about 1)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion (about 6)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot (1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Place couscous in a large bowl, and cool completely. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in tomato, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas); toss well.
- Combine oil and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture to couscous mixture just before serving; toss gently.