Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy, fresh and delicious! This came from my June 2007 issue of Cooking Light, and I don't want to lose this recipe. It is filled with fresh veggies and dressed with a light olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup diced cucumber (about 1)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion (about 6)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot (1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Place couscous in a large bowl, and cool completely. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in tomato, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas); toss well.
- Combine oil and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture to couscous mixture just before serving; toss gently.
Wonderful couscous-garbanzo salad. It was great for our lunches. Full of veggies and healthy. Thanks TexasToast :) Made for All you can cook buffet
If you are looking for a healthy, refreshing side for a summer cookout or even a light lunch - this recipe is just the ticket! This recipe is very easy to make, but is packed with flavor. The red wine vinegar/olive oil dressing is scrumptious! I did omit the red peppers because the BF considers them to be poisonous, but, other than that, made as directed! Thanks for sharing, TexasToastR - this is a keeper! Made for PAC Fall 2009.