Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my old roommates recipe - we used to fix this all the time. It's a tasty, one dish dinner. The "crust" is a "meatloaf" mixture.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups Minute Rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup water
- Crust: Combine ground beef, 1/2 a can of tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper & spices.
- Pat mixture down & up sides of a 9 inch pie plate (I use a deep dish).
- Set aside.
- Filling: Combine rice, all the remaining tomato sauce (1 1/2 cans), 1 cup water & 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour on top of crust.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with rest of cheese & bake 10 -15 more minutes or.
- until cheese is melted.
This is an old old recipe, My grandmother use to make this back in the late 40's early 50's , My Mom use to fix this when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, I fix it for my family and now my Daughter makes it for her fiance. obviously it's a family favorite. The only thing different from this recipe posted here is that my grandma's recipe called for oatmeal in place of breadcrumbs.
Very good recipe when prepared as written. I have also made this by adding a pouch of taco seasoning to the meat mixture and substituting a can of tomato sauce with a undrained can of Rotel tomatos and chilis. Very good either way!
I'm so glad I found this recipe. I use to make it years ago but lost the recipe. It was delicious. Thanks for posting.