Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my old roommates recipe - we used to fix this all the time. It's a tasty, one dish dinner. The "crust" is a "meatloaf" mixture.
- Crust: Combine ground beef, 1/2 a can of tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper & spices.
- Pat mixture down & up sides of a 9 inch pie plate (I use a deep dish).
- Set aside.
- Filling: Combine rice, all the remaining tomato sauce (1 1/2 cans), 1 cup water & 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour on top of crust.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with rest of cheese & bake 10 -15 more minutes or.
- until cheese is melted.
Very good recipe when prepared as written. I have also made this by adding a pouch of taco seasoning to the meat mixture and substituting a can of tomato sauce with a undrained can of Rotel tomatos and chilis. Very good either way!
I'm so glad I found this recipe. I use to make it years ago but lost the recipe. It was delicious. Thanks for posting.
We did not really care for this dish. There were just too many different flavors going on all at once for us. I don't have a deep dish pie plate and I think that is definately a necessity for this recipe as mine was oozing out and making a mess in the oven. Also, the recipe doesn't specify but I would suggest using very lean ground beef because I used the 85/15 and mine was still quite greasy. Thanks for sharing!