Prep 3 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe comes from a Best of Taste of Home recipe book. I thought the country fried steak was very good, but I might use a different gravy recipe nest time.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (30 crackers)
- 1 lb cube steak (4)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup (not diluted)
- 1 cup milk
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag. Put the buttermilk in a shallow container. Place the saltine crumbs in a bowl for dipping. Coat the steaks with the flour mixture; next, dip them into the buttermilk; finally, coat them with the saltine crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Over medium-high heat, cook the steaks in the oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove them when they are crisp, golden, and cooked to your liking. Remove the steaks from the skillet and keep them warm. Add the soup and milk to the hot skillet and bring to a boil while stirring to loosen the flavorful brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Serve the gravy with the steaks.