Country French Apple Crescent Casserole
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 large apple, peeled, cut into 8 slices
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon almond extract or 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 375. In small bowl, combine 2 T. sugar and 1/2 t. cinnamon; blend well. Seperate dough into 8 triangles; sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over each. Gently press sugar mixture into each triangle, flattening each slightly. Place apple slice on wide end of each triangle; tuck in edges around apple slice. Roll up, starting at wide ends; roll to opposite point. Seal at seams. Place tip side down in ungreased 9 inch round baking dish or pie pan, placing long side of 7 filled crescents around outside edge of dish and 1 in center. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In small bowl using wire whisk, combine 1/2 cup of sugar, whipping cream, almond extract and egg until well blended. Spoon sauce mixture evenly over partially baked rolls. Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon. Bake at 375 for an additional 13 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cover top of pan with foil during last 5 minutes of baking time if necessary to prevent excessive browning. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator.