Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Squash and....cornbread of all things, combine to make this tasty side dish that's great with just about anything!
- 4 yellow squash, cooked and mashed (2 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cornbread muffins, crumbled (2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- Mix cooked and mashed squash, crumbled cornbread, milk, onion powder, butter, sage and soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beaten eggs and blend well.
- Put in a greased 8x8 casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
I increased the heat to 350 because I had other dishes in the oven. This squash casserole was incredible. It was light and savory. My family enjoyed it very much. Thank you for posting it.
After reading the other reviews, I made a few slight changes ~ I used almost 3 cups of the cornbread muffins & jacked the oven temperature up to 350 degrees. And since my son & DIL were here, I used a cream of vegetable soup instead of the chicken! Still, it all came together very nicely & was well-received, so there're no complaints there! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
My boys liked this. I cooked it for 45 minutes because after 30 minutes it seemed very soupy for me. Made for Photo Tag.