Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Okay, so it is stuffed peppers; but doesn't it sound fancier! This is what my son calls them, I don't know why. And I like it so that is what I call the dish. My dad's cousins' kids named a dish 'Sloppy-glop' and everyone loves it anyway....I'll stop rambling now. This is great with a tossed salad and some crusty bread. I will say 8 servings for the calculator, really if you were making this as an appetizer you could easily get up to 32 servings by cutting each piece into 4 after they are baked.
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup raw couscous
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into corn nugget sized bits
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb Italian chicken sausage
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped (to garnish)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Boil the water and stir in couscous.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Wash peppers and cut in half from top to bottom.
- Remove seeds and ribs.
- Brown sausage.
- Add half of the onions and brown.
- Add half of the corn and brown slightly.
- Mix remaining onions, corn, garlic, basil, and oregano into couscous.
- Divide sausage between all pepper halves.
- Stuff the peppers with couscous mixture.
- Top each one with a slice of cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool; garnish with green onions.