Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From The Star of Texas Cookbook by the Junior League of Houston. Here for future use.
Make and share this Cornish Game Hens With Bacon and Cranberry Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season hens with salt and pepper.
- Place, cut side down, in large shallow roasting pan.
- Put 1/2 slice of bacon on each half hen.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in the boiling water and add to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until juice runs clear when thigh is pierced with a fork. Baste often with pan drippings.
- When hens are done, remove to a serving platter.
- Pour pan drippings into medium saucepan.
- Blend flour into the drippings.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until browned.
- Gradually add 1 cup of water. Cook, stirring contanstly, until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in cranberry sauce and mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 10 minutes and serve over the hens.
- Serve with rice.
What a spectacular dish! And the taste is too die for -- I made it exactly as written, except that I used fresh mushrooms that I sauteed ahead of time and used twice the amount of bacon. The bacon came out perfectly -- not too soft, and its drippings added such a fantastic flavor to the hens. The sauce was really good too -- there was enough cranberry sauce to add a nice tang but not too much as to overpower the other flavors. This is most definitely a keeper, and I will be making it again and again -- and already have it flagged to make for this year's Christmas dinner. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Oolala.