Recipe by Chicago Girl
This is a quick, hearty comfort dish which is easy to make. It tastes like tamales, without the work! I am always asked for the recipe wherever I make it. You can make the meat mixture ahead of time, and just do the cornbread when you are ready to bake.
Top Review by Micheale MacPherson
Great recipe. I personally didn't have tomato paste, green chilies or black olives. I substituted the tomato paste with one can of tomato sauce and my family loved it.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 pinch black pepper (less to taste)
- 1 lb ground beef, browned drained & rinsed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix corn bread mix, egg, and milk and let set.
- Brown ground beef in 1 cup water for fine crumbles. Drain and rinse fat.
- Mix all non-cornbread ingredients.
- Spray or grease an 8x8 pan.
- Spread all of meat mixture in pan.
- Carefully pour cornbread on top.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the cornbread's center is clean.