Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
Posted by request
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (mixed with 1 teaspoon water, for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly butter a 9-inch-diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet.
- In a big bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into 1/2 –inch cubes; distribute them over the flour mixture; using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, stir the milk, egg, and vanilla together; add milk mixture to the flour mixture; stir to combine.
- With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8-inch diameter circle in the center of the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the egg mixture over the top of the dough.
- With a serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and a pick comes out clean.
- Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool; recut wedges, if needed.
- Serve warm, or cool completely and store in an airtight container.