Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve these hot out of the oven with lots of sweet butter! Fresh corn is best in this. From The New Basics Cookbook.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn kernels, lightly mashed with a fork
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 425*F. Butter a 12 cup popover pan or muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir in remaining ingredients until almost blended(a few lumps should remain).
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each cup, and bake until puffed and deep golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
These were so easy to make and just delicious. DH commented that theses were the "best"! My new popover pan made these turn out perfectly, golden all around and easy to get out. These are not light and airy, however, they are substantial with the fresh cut corn. Makes a very good side dish to replace the usual potatoes, rice or pasta. Thanks or sharing this recipe.
These were very good. I've never made popovers before and these worked out very well. I did use a muffin tin and as high as they were filled i was worried , but nothing cooked over they puffed up as they should and worked just fine.