Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A sweet cornbread, cooked up in a loaf pan like a loaf of lightbread....hence the name. This is a recipe I adopted, and my family loves this bread.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- Combine dry ingredients; blend in milk and oil.
- Spoon into lightly greased 9" X 5" loaf pan.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 mins; let cool 5 mins before removing from pan.
This is a nice, all-purpose cornbread recipe. I would prefer it if it called for melted butter, rather than the oil or bacon drippings.
Great flavour and it rises up beautifully while baking! I used vegetable oil and mixed it with the buttermilk, and then poured the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. I baked for 45 minutes, and when completely cooled, cut into 20 slices. This is one easy recipe that I will make often!