Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found on alleasyrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT8-India.
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 20 ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander (garnish)
- In a small covered frying pan, toast the mustard seeds and fenugreek in 1 teaspoons of the ghee. Use a lid on the pan, as the mustard seeds will pop.
- Place in a mortar and add the red pepper flakes and ginger. Pound into a paste; set aside. Heat a 4-qt. saucepan and add the remaining ghee, asafetida, and garlic.
- Saute for a couple of minutes and add the onion, then saute until golden brown and tender. Add the water, pounded ingredients, and turmeric. Cook a few minutes longer.
- Add the jalapenos, corn, yogurt, and butter. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
This was a nice, easy side dish for our Indian meal. The amount of heat and spice were perfect and the flavor was very nice. The only problem I had, is that the yogurt curdled somewhat. Made for ZWT8 India