Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Thick, creamy, and so delicious! My boyfriend loves it and nearly licks the bowl every time. I got it from the Storytellers Cafe at the Disneyland Resort. I don't use hot sauce and i've served it a few times without the cilantro when i didn't have any and it's still amazing!
- 4 ears fresh corn, unshucked
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 slices bacon, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup pulled chicken meat
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- To roast corn, put whole ears in their husks into preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cool briefly, then peel back the husks and cut the kernels off the cobs; set aside.
- Saute diced bacon. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat and add onion and garlic and saute until transparent but not brown. Add the roasted corn, potato, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, incorporating with a wire whip until the mixture is smooth. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until mixture begins to loosen slightly. Let cool.
- Add the cooled butter/flour mixture to the simmering broth, incorporating with a whisk. Stir often to keep from sticking to the bottom of a pan. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the cream and pulled chicken meat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon for garnish until crisp. Drain and chop into small pieces; set aside.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce, to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with garnish of bacon and cilantro.