Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Working on making meals just using what I have in my kitchen. This one is a total winner! Any good cook knows how to tweak a recipe and this one is very forgiving. Exchange--raw onion, raw potato, shredded frozen potato, different herbs--whatever. But this concoction was what I had on hand; and it turned out well enough to post. I really feel the can of cheddar cheese soup (that I've had in my cupboard waiting for a use) made the difference. Hope you agree!
- 236.59 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 418.15 g can cream-style corn
- 304.75 g cheddar cheese soup
- 414.03 ml frozen corn
- 473.18 ml frozen south western style cubed frozen hash browns
- 236.59 ml cubed cooked turkey ham
- 9.85 ml dried parsley flakes
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 14.79 ml dehydrated onion
- 4.92 ml cayenne powder
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- Put in a pot and cook over medium heat until all is warmed. If you're using raw onions, potatoes, peppers--cook accordingly.
Made this soup for lunch today - nice and filling all by itself or served with a sandwich. Made as directed with the exception of the onion powder and parsley as I didn't have any. I only used 1/3 of the cayenne. I think I will add some mild green chilies to the leftovers, as well as, some additional spice such cumin, etc. There are many options for this delicious soup - we enjoyed it very much. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.
I used 1/2 large onion, so I left out the onion powder and dehydrated onion. I also used freshly grated potato. I reduced the garlic powder to 1/2 tsp and cayenne to 1/4 tsp. I was out of the cheddar soup so I used real cheddar cheese. Ok, I know I made a lot of substitutions, but this soup turned out great. My 17 year old came home from school and ate the entire pot! He asked if I would make it again tomorrow. That is a sure sign it is a good soup. Thanks for the recipe.