Recipe by NELady
From Family Favorites Cookbooks by Readers Digest, c. 1993. Great for a cold day!
Top Review by catotey
I really enjoyed this recipe! Thanks for providing it. However, I did make a few little variations based on a recipe from the Cornucopia Wholefood & Vegetarian Restaurant (in Dublin): I added a leek, more garlic, 2 sticks of celery, and above all, I fried half of the corn (directly from frozen and with no oil in the frying pan) along with a tblsp of brown sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes). I only submit the idea in case someone else finds it useful.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small green bell peppers (about 1/2 cup) or 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- tortilla chips (optional) or warm flour tortilla (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, tomato juice, and corn. Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls and sprinkle each with some of the cheese. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas, if desired.