Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The great thing about corn fritters is that they are perfect anytime of the day. Have them at breakfast with a little wilted spinach, some bacon and roast tomatoes. Serve them at lunch with a salad of arugula, feta and salmon. Use them for dinner as the base to any seafood or chicken dish. When entertaining serve mini-fritters as a canape topped with a little smoked chicken and mango salsa. The options are endless and I trust that once you give this recipe a try, you will soon be adding to the list of endless possibilities. This recipe makes about 12 fritters so depending on what you are using them for adjust it accordingly.
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 2 baby shallots, finely chopped (green onion)
- 1⁄2 onion (finely diced)
- 1 piece fresh ginger, finely chopped (approximately the size of half a wine cork)
- 1⁄3 bunch coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro)
- 1 red chili pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (seeds can be left in if you like a little kick)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- flaked sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Saute the onion and ginger in a little oil until soft and translucent.
- Place the flour, 1 cup of the corn kernels, onion, ginger, cumin, water and eggs into a food processor and process until well combined.
- Place mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir through the remaining corn, shallots, chilli, and coriander and season the mixture with sea salt and black pepper.
- In a non-stick fry pan place a little oil and set over high heat.
- Using a 30 ml (1 oz) ladle cook fritters 2 at a time, approx 1 minute per side or until golden.
- Transfer to an oven proof rack and tray and cook for a further 3-4 minutes in the oven.
This was a great way to use up some of the fresh corn that we've been getting from our CSA. Thank you for posting.
These were so quick and easy! The cumin and ginger flavours really come through. Another fantastic recipe from darang61!! YUMMY! Made for PAC Fall 2007.