This is one of my favorites and it is the MOST AUTHENTIC RECIPE! Other recipes that omit some of the ingredients, such as the heavy cream, are not the true recipe for this wonderful tasting dish. Also, you must serve it in shells or ramekins & not over a bed of rice. It's just as good as other recipes for this dish that require many more steps. It's YUMMY! If you have any questions e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
- 1 lb large scallop (sliced 2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine or 3⁄4 cup vermouth
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced) or 2 tablespoons scallions (minced)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place scallops in saucepan with wine or vermouth, mushrooms, seasonings & herbs.
- Add water, if necessary, to almost cover ingredients.
- Bring to simmer & then cover pan & simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Remove scallops & mushrooms & place into a bowl.
- Rapidly boil down the cooking liquid until reduced to the amount of 1 cup.
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter in a new pan& stir in the flour until smooth.
- Cook slowly for 2 minutes without browning.
- Remove from heat & beat in the scallop cooking liquid.
- Stir with whip over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Thin out with milk.
- Blend egg yolks in a bowl with half of the heavy cream.
- Beat in the hot sauce driblets.
- Return to the pan & stir over medium heat until sauce comes to a slight boil.
- Thin out, as necessary, with more cream or milk.
- Carefully correct seasoning & add lemon juice & sugar if needed.
- Fold 2/3 of sauce into the scallops & mushrooms & spoon into lightly buttered large shells or individual ramekins (round baking bowls).
- Spoon on the remaining sauce & sprinkle with the cheese.
- Top with bread crumbs & place little dabs of butter on top.
- Then sprinkle with paprika.
- Place into broiler until lightly browned & serve with crusty bread if desired.