1/2 Photos of Coq Au Vin (Rooster or Chicken in Wine)
2 hrs 20 mins
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
My daughter found this recipe online and decided to try it. It was fantastic!! Note: It does need to be marinated overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut-up into pieces (or rooster)
- 1 1/2 cups approximately 1/2 bottle of full-body red Burgundy wine (we used Lemberger)
- 6 bacon, slices diced
- 1/2 lb baby portobella mushroom
- 12 white pearl onions (we used canned)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1A day in advance, place the rooster/chicken 8 pieces in large sealable dish. Pour half a bottle of red Burgundy wine over it.
- 2Add the small white onions, the quartered peeled carrots and the herbs. Cover and put in the fridge.
- 3The next day, remove and drain the chicken and vegetables. Put the wine aside for later use.
- 4Brown the chicken pieces with oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken. Using the same skillet, add garlic to the vegetables and heat for a couple of minutes.
- 5Put the chicken and the vegetables in a large sauce pan. Pour the wine in and add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil at moderate heat. Cover and cook at low heat for 1 or 2 hours.
- 6Heat bacon, onion and mushrooms in a skillet until brown (about 10 minutes).
- 7When the chicken is ready, add bacon, onion and mushrooms in the pan, cook and stir for 2 or 3 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning,.
- 8Add parsley to the chicken when finished. Serve with rice or potatoes and the other half of the bottle of wine.
- 9Other wine suggestions: red Burgundy wine, or Cotes du Rhone red, Morgon.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coq Au Vin (Rooster or Chicken in Wine)
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.3
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.2 mg
- Sodium 210.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: