Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious recipe that looks awesome. This recipe has been adopted from Zaar. No updates have been made yet.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup cold water, to mix as necessary
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Prepare a moderately hot oven 400°F Place an 8-inch fluted flan ring on a baking sheet.
- Place flour and salt in a bowl; cut fats into small pieces until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs; Add about 1 1/2 tbsp cold water and mix with a fork to form a firm dough; Turn out on to a floured board and knead lightly; Roll out pastry to a circle, 1 1/2 in larger all around than flan ring; Support pastry on rolling pin and lift on to flan rings: gently ease pastry into flan ring and press into flutes; Roll of surplus pastry with rolling pin across top of flan case; Press pastry into flutes again with the fingers.
- Spread jam in base of flan case.
- Cream margarine and sugar together until light; Beat egg and add gradually, beating well after each addition; Fold in flour; Place 4 tablespoons of the top of the milk in a small saucepan; reserve for topping; Stir remainder into creamed mixture with almond extract; Pour mixture into flan case.
- Bake in centre of oven for 20 to 25 minutes; remove flan ring.
- Meanwhile, make topping.
- Chop almonds, place on a baking sheet in bottom of oven for about 10 minutes, to brown.
- Add butter and brown sugar to reserved top of the milk in saucepan; stir over a moderate heat until sugar has melted.
- Bring to the boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in browned almonds.
- Spread topping over flan and return flan to oven; cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.