Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Copenhagen pastry filled with almonds.
- 6 separated eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground unblanched almonds
- 3⁄4 cup toasted breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb phyllo dough (pastry sheets)
- 2⁄3 cup clarified butter
For the Syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Beat egg yolks with the sugar mixture until mixture is very thick.
- Add orange juice, cinnamon, baking powder, almonds and toasted breadcrumbs.
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff, but not dry and fold into the almond mixture.
- Line a greased baking pan with half of the pastry sheets, brushing each sheet liberally with butter.
- Turn almond mixture into the pan and cover with remaining buttered pastry sheets.
- Make four long slits in the first 3 pastry sheets with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- In a saucepan boil sugar, water, and lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over almond pie.
- When cold, cut into squares.
- Makes 24-28 pieces.