Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This wonderful salad was one of my MIL's specialties. Everyone looked forward to her bringing to any family occasion. The addition of cottage cheese makes this, for me, a cooling summer lunch, also. Cooking time is actually chilling time
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Dissolve the gelatin thoroughly in boiling water.
- Chill until slightly thickened.
- Fold in the undrained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, blending well.
- fold into gelatin mixture.
- Pour into a 9-x-12-inch dish and chill until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- I have also made this recipe substituting orange gelatin for the lime and 1 can orange segments, drained, for the pineapple; omit horseradish.