Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a 100% whole grain dough recipe for number of uses, from crusts to brownies to drop cookies to kid’s parties. When used for brownies / bar cookies, the resulting blondies are moist, heavy, chewy and almost uncooked tasting in their intense cookieness. When used in cake pans, the result is a dense, delicious pie or blondie. When used for drop cookies, they are huge, soft, and ever so chewy – incidentally, they are thus perfect for ice cream sandwiches. Although this does have the advantage of being 100% whole grain, do not be fooled: nothing with this much wonderful sugar, butter, and egg can possibly be “good for you”.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons any extract or 2 tablespoons flavoring
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- Melt butter in a microwave safe mixing bowl.
- While butter cools, sift together dry ingredients (flour, powder, salt).
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla, and other liquid flavorings thoroughly, beating until well blended and slightly frothy.
- Sift together the sugars, breaking up any clumps.
- Cream together the butter and sugars thoroughly until well aerated.
- Add egg mixture, beat thoroughly into the sugar mixture, again until very well aerated / fluffed.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar-egg-butter batter slowly, blending with each addition.
- Stir in mix-ins as chosen.
- If making drop cookies, 2 - 4 hours of chilling to set the dough is suggested but not neccessary.
- Pour into cake pan, brownie pan, or mound in 2-tbs drops on cookie sheets.
- Bake at 340 – 365 for: 25 - 35 minutes for brownies, 20 - 30 minutes for cakes, and 10-15 minutes for cookies.
- Makes x2 9x13 brownie pans, x3 9" cake/pie pans, or 3-4 dozen BIG chocolate chip cookies.
- FINAL NOTE: This recipe is quite open to variation. Look for further uploads as variants.