1 hr 41 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Great Cookies, by Carole Walter
My Private Note
dozen 2 ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
- 2 tablespoons strained Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly firm
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon boiling water
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- strained powdered sugar, for rolling
- 1Strain together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- 2In a big bowl of a stand electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix the butter on medium-low speed until it is cream and lightened in color.
- 3Add in the sugar in a steady stream, mixing for 2 minutes to combine.
- 4Mix in the egg, vanilla, and espresso powder.
- 5Scrape down side of bowl, as needed, then mix in the melted chocolate.
- 6Decrease mixer speed to low and blend in the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing only to combine after each addition.
- 7Remove the dough from the bowl and divide in half; form into two 3 x 4 inch rectangles and wrap in plastic.
- 8Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm (the dough may be frozen at this point for up to 1 month).
- 9Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- 10Preheat to 350°; dab the corners of the cookie sheets lightly with butter and line with baking parchment.
- 11Sprinkle a pastry cloth and rolling pin with powdered sugar, rubbing it well into the weave.
- 12Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it into a rectangle 3/16 inch thick.
- 13Cut into desired shapes; place cutouts on the cookie sheets.
- 14Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies feel set on top.
- 15To ensure even baking, toward the end of baking time, rotate the sheets from top to bottom and front to back.
- 16Let cookies rest on the sheet for 2 minutes before loosening with a thin metal spatula.
- 17Decorate as desired; store in an airtight container, layered between strips of waxed paper, for up to 3 weeks.
- 18May be frozen undecorated .
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cookie-Cutter Chocolate Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (659 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.4
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 353.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 40.4 g
- Protein 7.9 g