Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From The Southern Living Cookbook. The allspice and orange zest gives this an unusual flavor, but I cut WAY back on the orange zest, adding maybe about 1 tsp. Also I used olive oil instead of butter. At serving time, I added cornstarch to the liquid in the pan and made a gravy to serve on the side.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) chuck roast
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) can consomme, diluted
- Saute onion in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender; add meat and brown on both sides.
- Combine seasonings and consomme. Pour over beef.
- Cover and simmer, 2 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.