Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
Make and share this Combo Flatcake (Tanzania) recipe from Food.com.
- Combine beef, potatoes and carrots in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, curry powder, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Add dry mix to the beef mixture, along with the egg and milk. Blend thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Dump mixture into skillet in half-cup portions, as many as will fit at one time, flattening each slightly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook covered, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Flip cakes over to brown the second side.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used, adding the remaining oil, a bit at a time, to prevent sticking.
this was a fantastically easy dish to put together and so so yummy. A real comfort food!
I am so excited about this recipe! I've wanted to try African food, and these are easy and use ingredients I always have. I grated the veggies very fine on my processor and cooked them a little longe than 5 min just to make sure the potato was cooked. I am not a cinnamon fan so added a very scant 1/2 teaspoon, but the way it blends with the curry is just amazing...to where you can hardly separate the two flavours. A very appetizing result. I fried them by scant 1/2 cup size 'patties' and got 13. Thanks! Will make again!