Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The bacon adds flavour to these potatoes.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- In skillet cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove and drain.
- Add onion green pepper and celery to skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat 5 minutes; drain fat.
- Partially cook potatoes in boiling water 10 minutes; drain.
- In lightly greased 8 inch square dish layer half the potatoes tomatoes bacon and onion mix and cheese.
- Whisk together yolks and milk.
- Beat egg whites and salt and pepper until foamy.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
“I didn't quite get out of the recipe what I expected. Despite doubling the bacon quantity, we couldn't taste much of it or the cheddar cheese either. It was generally on the bland side, for our tastes. UPDATE: I've come in and re-posted my comments because this had much more flavor the second day. My suggestion is to make this a day in advance and heat up just before serving. Thanks for posting.