Prep 12 hrs
Cook 5 mins
This is my personal recipe for homemade buckwheat cakes, a real treat served with my Kentucky whipped butter and pure maple syrup.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄4 ounce cake yeast
- 1 quart warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 tablespoon bacon drippings
- Sift the flours together.
- Dissolve cake yeast in the warm water.
- Mix all ingredients well, into a batter.
- Set at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover and place into the refrigerator overnight.
- Stir in baking soda to the portion to be used to leaven the sourness of yeast.
- Pour onto greased hot griddle and cook until bubbly, then flip cake over until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with my "Kentucky Whipped Butter" and pure maple syrup.