Recipe by HeatherFeather
The original version for this yummy fruity chicken salad recipe came from a college student who entered the Pillsbury Bakeoff on a whim, and managed to get picked as one of the 100 contestants. This recipe doctors up ordinary chicken salad. I made his recipe tonight for a light supper, and made quite a few changes, although it is still heavily based on his excellent recipe. For the granola, he used two granola bars (Nature Valley brand) and bashed them with a rolling pin to crush them inside their packages, which is what I did too, although you can also just use any loose granola you happen to prefer.
Top Review by laughingmama
This was great for a hot evening meal. Good stuff!<br/><br/>Made a few changes to keep it easy: <br/><br/>Used 1 can of Mandarin Oranges (15oz) and 1 can of Chunk Pineapple (20 oz). <br/>2 packages of fully cooked strips of breast meat chicken <br/>Skipped the sugar (it was sweet enough) <br/>1/2 Canola Mayo<br/>2 bars of Nature Valley Crunchy Oats and Honey crushed.
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1⁄4 cup canned mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1⁄4 cup seedless grapes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup diced apple (I used red delicious)
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip or 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4-1 cup granola cereal (he used 2 roasted almond granola bars and crushed them inside the packages)
- 2 cups prepared plain chicken salad, from the deli
- croissant, to serve
- lettuce leaf, to serve