Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Since moving to Costa Rica, I've been trying to learn how to cook with the local ingredients. A magazine called Mucho Gusto caught my eye last week, and it has the most amazing collection of soups, some of them quite unusual! This one sounds particularly interesting, though certainly not low-fat. Yum??? NOTE: REQUIRES 3 HOURS REFRIGERATION, not included in stated times.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 3 cups sweet corn, kernels (FRESH!!!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, place the water, the chile, the corn, and the coconut mulk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the lemon juice. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a blender in small batches, then puree thoroughly. Pour pureed mixture into a large glass bowl.
- NOTE: If you want a chunkier consistency, reserve a portion, don't blend, then add it to the pureed mixture.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours, serve with crusty bread.