Recipe by Sharon123
Tangy but mild, orange colored cheez that slices well for sandwiches and snacks. It also makes fantastic grilled cheez sandwiches! If you like, shred it with a light touch and sprinkle it over salads or baked potatoes. Adapted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak! For more info on uncheez, check out Gooda cheez.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons agar, powder
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers, skin and seeds removed or 1⁄2 cup pimiento, pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raw cashews or 1⁄2 cup skinless brazil nut
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil a 3 cup plastic storage container and set aside.
- Mix the water(or soymilk) and agar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until dissolved, about 5-10 minutes.
- Move to a food processor(or blender) and add the remaining ingredients.
- Process a few minutes until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of food processor as necessary.
- Pour into the oiled container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
- When compleetly cool, cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge. Keeps 5-7 days. Enjoy!
- Variations: In place of red peppers, use 1/2 cup cooked chopped carrots, 2-3 teaspoons paprika, or 2 tbls. unsalted tomato paste.
- Chedda Cheez: Add 2 tbls. light or chickpea miso before blending.
- Olive cheez: Replace dry mustard with 1 tbls. Dijon mustard. After blending, stir in 3/4 cup chopped black olives(or kalamata) or sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives.