Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tangy but mild, orange colored cheez that slices well for sandwiches and snacks. It also makes fantastic grilled cheez sandwiches! If you like, shred it with a light touch and sprinkle it over salads or baked potatoes. Adapted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak! For more info on uncheez, check out Gooda cheez.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons agar, powder
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers, skin and seeds removed or 1⁄2 cup pimiento, pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raw cashews or 1⁄2 cup skinless brazil nut
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Lightly oil a 3 cup plastic storage container and set aside.
- Mix the water(or soymilk) and agar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until dissolved, about 5-10 minutes.
- Move to a food processor(or blender) and add the remaining ingredients.
- Process a few minutes until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of food processor as necessary.
- Pour into the oiled container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
- When compleetly cool, cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge. Keeps 5-7 days. Enjoy!
- Variations: In place of red peppers, use 1/2 cup cooked chopped carrots, 2-3 teaspoons paprika, or 2 tbls. unsalted tomato paste.
- Chedda Cheez: Add 2 tbls. light or chickpea miso before blending.
- Olive cheez: Replace dry mustard with 1 tbls. Dijon mustard. After blending, stir in 3/4 cup chopped black olives(or kalamata) or sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives.