Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
--Adopted Recipe-- The original submitter says that this fruity loaf showed up in Coke and Seven-Up cookbooks. The recipe was adapted from "Cooking With Coke" - a publication of the Coca Cola Company. Be sure to make a day ahead of time, because it is best the next day.
Top Review by ChefMightyRich
I don't know why this is called a fruit loaf, as the date IS the fruit, but anyway, this was great and easy to prepare. I used 1 c. nuts instead of the 1/2 c. The dates and nuts are always a great combination and we loved it with the lemon and cinnamon!
- 226.79 g package dates
- 295.73 ml cola drink
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, packed firmly
- 29.58 ml oil
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml lemon rind, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract (or desired flavor)
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Generously grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- Chop dates.
- Heat cola to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in dates, mixing very well.
- Stir in sugar and oil. Cool while preparing other ingredients.
- Stir dry ingredients together and add to cola mixture. Stir in egg, extract and nuts.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake about 1 hour until cake tests done. Cool on a rack for 20 minutes then remove from pan and wrap.
- Store overnight before slicing.