Recipe by Dancer^
This sophisticated sauce will quickly become a favorite at your house. Spoon it over grilled veal chops or a crisp roast duck, and you will present a memorable dish. It is outstanding over noodles for a small but rich first course.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄2 cup brown stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic and saute until transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add the cognac and flame.
- To do this, remove the saucepan from the heat and touch a lighted match to the edge of the pan; the fumes of the cognac will ignite.
- Holding the pan away from you, allow the flames to die down naturally.
- Add the stock and cream and simmer over low heat until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to simmer 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.