Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I make this quite often in the summertime, it is one of the most delicious frozen ice cream cakes that you will ever have. Note: plan ahead, this ice cream cake needs to be frozen for 8 hours or overnight before serving. Prep time includes freezer time.
- 2 1⁄4 cups crumbled macaroons or 2 1⁄4 cups chocolate wafers or 2 1⁄4 cups vanilla wafers
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 8 (5 ounce) Heath candy bars or 8 (5 ounce) english toffee, coarsely chopped, divided
- 4 tablespoons chocolate syrup, divided, to taste
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur, divided, to taste
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 3 (5 ounce) crushed Heath candy bars (to garnish) (optional)
- Layer bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with 1-1/4 cups macaroon crumbs.
- Spread the chocolate ice cream evenly over the crumbs.
- Sprinkle 4 crushed Heath bars over the chocolate ice cream.
- Dribble with 3 Tbsp chocolate syrup, and 2 tbsp liqueur.
- Cover with the remaining 1 cup macaroons.
- Layer the vanilla ice cream over the macaroons.
- Top with remaining 4 Heath bars, 1 Tbsp chocolate syrup (or more if desired), and the 1 Tbsp coffee liqueur.
- Cover, and freeze at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a blade of a kitchen knife around the edges of the pan.
- Remove the sides, and place the ice cream cake on a platter.
- For presentation, more crushed heath bars may be sprinkled on top before serving if desired, but it is not necessary.
- Slice and serve-- Yummy!
This recipe was a great starting point for my husband's birthday cake. I used 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream plus 1 pint Starbuck's coffee ice cream, whic filled my 9" springform exactly. I scooped the coffee ice cream by small scoops into each layer, using half for each and filling in with vanilla for a marble effect. I substitued 2 packages graham crackers (not boxes - three packagesin my box!) for the macaroons and instead of the coffee liqueur, used 1 shot espresso mixed with enough sugar to make a syrup. Increased the candy bars to 9 total (used Skor bars), and otherwise assembled as directed. The cake was delicious and got lots of nice comments from our party guests! Thanks, Kittencal for a great recipe!