Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A recipe from my husband's grandmother. This was one of my FIL's favorites when he was growing up. We tried them recently and they are very good--light and crisp.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, softened
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Sift first 5 ingredients together, set aside.
- Cream shortening and margarine together, adding the sugars while creaming.
- Add egg and rum extract, beating until light and fluffy.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and chill thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out small amounts of dough at a time to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with fluted cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.
- Decorate rounds with pecan halves, if desired.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
What an easy recipe to make! I'm not sure if I rolled them out thin enough or too thin - plus I really had to be careful baking them because I think my oven got a little hot. Some seemed almost "burnt" while others were softer - which pretty much means I wasn't consistent in my rolling them out right. Though not impressed eating them straight out of cookie jar, they are GREAT with a scoop of ice cream! I'm going to make them again sometime and get it perfect!! Thanks!
hese are definitely and adult cookie. Straight out of the cookie jar, we did not care much for them. I found the coffee flavor to strong and slightly bitter with very little to none of the rum flavor comming through. I used Maxwell House coffee.When dunked in milk, they were much, much better.
I tagged this for zaat tag. These were really good. I lovely combination. My cookiecutters were lost in the move so I used a canning jar small size as a cutter. These still turned out good. I love coffee so I added just a bit more. I used Folgers gourmet roast instant coffee for this. Great recipe Thanks Karen