Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
You'll need a shell-shaped madeleine mold for these delicious sponge cookies. Make the madeleines ahead of time, then store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 week.
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 78.07 ml butter, melted and cooled (no substitutes)
- 9.85 ml instant espresso powder
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 0.59 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml almonds, very finely chopped
- espresso icing (optional, but recipe included below, requires instant expresso powder and powdered sugar)
- Grease and flour twenty-four 3-inch madeline molds. Set aside. Beat sugar and yolks in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add butter, espresso powder, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat in egg whites until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Sift flour mixture over the egg yolk mixture; gently fold inches Fold in almonds. Spoon batter into prepare molds, filling each about half full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden and tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in molds for 1 minute. Using the point of a knife, loosen cookies from molds; invert onto a wire rack. Remove molds, and cool cookies completely on rack. Drizzle Espresso Icing over madeleines, if desired. Cover tightly and store at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Espresso Icing: Combine 1/2 teaspoons instant expresso powder and 1 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Stir in additional water 1 teaspoons at a time until a drizzling consistency.
I love Madeleines but hadn't made them in years because I lost my pan in a move somewhere along the line in my early nomad days. This recipe gave me an excuse to go buy a new one. These are delicious and so easy. The coffee flavor is not overpowering. Thanks, Nancy, for posting this. Will be making them again.