Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cool shimmering cup of coffee you can eat with a spoon. I grew up on this in Rhode Island & have not found it anywhere else. For the true coffee lover.
- In a large bowl combine gelatin and cold coffee.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes to soften.
- Add hot coffee, sugar and salt; stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is clear.
- Pour into individual serving dishes and chill till set.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Wow! I too grew up in Rhode Island, and remember watching my grandmother use the morning's leftover coffee for my grandfather's favorite coffee jello lunchtime dessert! He would eat a big bowl with a splash of cream. Delicious!!
I am not a big fan of jello but I love coffee so decided to try this one! I made one batch with very strong regular coffee and the second batch with homemade Kahlua. Both were incredible! I loved the Kahlua one quite a bit better though. (I wonder why!) With some sweetened whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel I was grinning over this fun dessert! Next time I will be trying a bit of chocolate sauce over it.
Yup, nothing better than coffee jello with real whipped cream. Rhode Islanders have great but unusual tastes. Coffee milk, quahogs, corn fritters. Bring it on.